- you fill up your sketchbook with fun things!
- you learn different ways to paint a subject
- you can practice different angles and choose the best ones
- you can take bits from every reference to create a new version
- you can try out different colour schemes before committing
- you can try out different compositions (thumbnails) before committing
- It takes longer
- It can be a form of procrastination
- It doesn't guarantee all of this work will pay off in the finished painting
- You may lose interest in the painting altogether because what you originally wanted to express is done now
I'm still searching for that perfect balance.