Planning out a painting by doing sketches and studies in the sketchbook has some serious pros and cons:
- you fill up your sketchbook with fun things!
- you learn different ways to paint a subject
- you can practice different angles and choose the best ones
- you can take bits from every reference to create a new version
- you can try out different colour schemes before committing
- you can try out different compositions (thumbnails) before committing
- It takes longer
- It can be a form of procrastination
- It doesn't guarantee all of this work will pay off in the finished painting
- You may lose interest in the painting altogether because what you originally wanted to express is done now
I'm still searching for that perfect balance.
Hello! I'm Melissa, and here you'll find some behind-the-scenes footage of an artful life. Won't you join me?